Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Your World, Organized






When I first got to Purdue, I had my homepage set to Google.com, like many of us do. It’s convenience of having a search for sites, images, video, news, and much more makes it a worthy candidate of being the most used search engine, and quite often, the most used homepage. Today, I’m here to tell you about another site, which is probably even better than Google.com, at least for a college student.
When I was at Boiler Gold Rush, I went to a free merchandise fair. I went because there were free T-Shirts, free gadgets, and of course, FREE PIZZA. I gladly accepted all of these gifts, and was quite ready to leave when a man approached me, and asked me If I had a moment to spare. Grudgingly, I told him yes. I’m actually quite happy that I did. Had I not, I would not have been introduced to Proemus.com, the best homepage for a Purdue University Student.

Proemus is a homepage created by students at Purdue, in order to help other students at Purdue. It is a site, powered by google’s search, that organizes all of the common sites a college student would visit into one easy page. It is separated into 6 tabs, each of which will take you to a new link. The first one is red and labeled “email.” Naturally, this one takes you to the Purdue Webmail site. Excellent idea, don’t you agree? The next one is blue and labeled “calendar”. This one takes you to the calendar page on Purdue.edu. By having access to a calendar, you are able to see what goes on at the University, and make sure you don’t miss an important opportunity.
Next, we have the orange “dining.”This one takes you to a page of all the dining areas around the West Lafayette and Lafayette area. It tells you which ones deliver, which ones are more of a sit down place, which are bars and which are a formal place. Quite convenient in my opinion. The next one is green and labeled “news.” This one takes you to a link with several news authorities, allowing you to keep up with what is going on in the world. But, it has other sites to, like a celebrity gossip site, for all you nosey people out there.
The next one is purple and labeled “college sites.” This is one of the most used, at least on my computer. It brings lots of sites that a college student might visit, such as facebook, youtube, myspace, and collegehumor.com, and gives you access to them. The final link brings you to a Purdue Links page. It a link to many pages on Purdue.edu that you may or may not need. Its quite helpful in my opinion.
I think Proemus is a great organization tool, and I’m excited to use it in the future.

No comments: