Thursday, October 23, 2008

$2,000 for a phone!?!?!?!


Due to popular demand, I am about to review a new cell phone that was featured (poorly, I might add) in The Exponent. The phone is called the Motorola Aura. Big features of this phone include the display screen, which is a circular shape, rather than the traditional square or rectangle. Motorola says they took this from their old V70 cell phone. The phone has a swivel design, allowing the display to stay firm in its place, and allowing the ear piece to come out. The screen also includes a 16 million (yes, I said million) color display. So, needless to say, if you think of a color, or even try to invent one, this phone probably has you beat.

So, the phone doesn't sound too bad so far, but I'm not done with its features. The lens on the screen is a 1.62 sapphire crystal, and the textured pattern on the phone is the same type used on expensive wristwatches. The pattern takes two weeks to sculpt onto the phone.

Okay, the phone has 2 GB of memory, and the standard phone features that any of your phones have. The difference in this phone, is that it has Motorola's Crystal Talk. The average person does not know what this is, and neither do I, so I researched it. According to Motorola's website,

"CrystalTalk is a bundling of microphone noise reduction, noise adaptive speaker enhancements, and on some products, a full duplex speaker phone. CrystalTalk is unique to Motorola products and incorporates a number of voice enhancement technologies for the device, wired headset and speakerphone. All enhancements improve the clarity and intelligibility of speech while you are in a noisy environment”

It sounds to me like Crystal Talk is like Hi-Def for listening. It allows you to hear better, and the speech has a higher clarity than the average phone. Many of Motorola's new phones have Crystal Talk, and I'm sure it will spread to many phones throughout the next few months.

Okay, you now have a better understanding of this phone, so be ready to shell out $2,000 for this work of art. I don't know about you, but if I spent that much, I would leave it in the box and just admire it. Imagine dropping it in water...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you wrote about this so called Motorola Aura... personally, paying $2,000 for a phone just doesn't sound right to me. As you mentioned the phone has the standard phone features as well as a swivel design. As long as I know, I think there are some phones with swivel design. After reading the entry, it seems one would have to pay $2,000 to get an H-D audio phone, with circular display screen and some fancy design...NOT ME! I agree with you last line, if I were to buy this phone, I would leave it in a box and admire too.

Firebird85 said...

I agree with you 100% about leaving it in the box. 2000 is just to much for a phone though, i dont care what it is capable of doing. I couldnt even imagine scratching the screen. And though the idea of crystal talk, or as you put it High definition listening, sounds good i think ill just stick with my normal phone thats a little bit cheaper. Thanks for writing more about the "$2000" phone!