Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Podcast???


A good way to tell if a piece of technology is deemed, “college worthy,” is to ask if your parents know what it is. If they do, it probably is not able to be considered college exclusive. If your parents stare at you with a clueless face, you may just have something new and cool that you can bring to your dorm, apartment, house, or wherever you live.
I recently came about this, when I was talking about Itunes’ videos known as a “podcast.” In the middle of the conversation, my father stopped me and said, “What are you talking about?” He had no idea what a podcast is, so I thought I would share with you what I shared with him, just in case you have not heard of one either. Or, you have heard of one but have no idea what it is, and continuously nod your head when people talk about them to you.
A podcast is a way of streaming videos across the internet. A podcast is a broadcast of something over the internet. The podcast can be anything, from “NBC Nightly News,” to “The best new videos on youtube.” What makes this different from searching for a video and downloading? It’s quite simple. The podcast search menu is through iTunes, and you simply have to look through the vast amount of them, and “subscribe” to the one you like. When you subscribe, it’s kind of like subscribing to a newsletter, or a magazine. When the new one comes out, it is automatically sent to your computer, and downloaded. That way, you don’t have to search for the new one every day.
Being a college student, I can’t live on a 100% fool proof schedule, so I use podcasts to watch the news and keep up with what is going on in our world. I watch NBC Nightly News daily, so I can make sure I’m not left behind when I hear about something happening in the world. But, remember, podcasts don’t have to be serious. There are several podcasts out there that are quite humorous, or downright silly. So, until next time, go download yourself a podcast.

1 comment:

Firebird85 said...

I liked the way you started this off with the whole parent thing! That is totally true. Podcast is pretty cool I’m not totally sold on the idea and concept but my sister has one and I know she likes it. The idea that its intelligent enough to download the latest version is pretty cool, because it’s too time consuming. Is this basically like TV? I’m not totally sure about it because I’m too broke to own an iPod right now and my old one broke. All of the newest MAC gadgets are too expensive for me because I had to buy college books. I’m enjoying the technology blog a lot, so keep up the good work.