Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Purdue Emergency Notification System




As the world continues to connect with technology, it is possible to see many upsides to the coming together of the world. Yet, I can see the connection happening on a much smaller scale. What I’m talking about is the Purdue University Emergency Notification System. Now, I’m not saying Purdue is small by any means, but compared to the world, it is a small section.
The Purdue University Emergency Notification System is multilayered way of alerting all students that something potentially dangerous is going on. The system works with several different ways of communication. I received a text message a few days ago, testing the system, just in case an emergency were to occur. There is also a television message on Boiler TV, campus-wide sirens, email, and even a facebook group. Each of these sends a message making sure that the students are aware of something potentially life-threatening happening on campus.
This system is a fantastic idea, because it helps keep all 40,000 of us as safe as possible. 40,000 is a lot of people, and the system does a fantastic job of alerting people all across campus. All of my friends mentioned the text message that they received, showing that the system really does work.
I for one am glad Purdue has put this system into place. It gives me a sense of security, because I know that behind the scenes, people are looking out for me, wherever I am on campus.

1 comment:

Va-Tech777 said...

I believe that this is a very good system and could save lives in a potential life threatening situation. Although, it kind of seems dumb wouldn’t you like to know if a shooting breaks out in McCutcheon and you friend is leaving Shreve to go back to McCutcheon then you could warn them to stay away possibly saving a life. It would also be nice for the text messaging feature because if there was a tornado or such they could warn more students. All in all, I think it is a very very effective system.