Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bulletproof Tires


First before I get into my topic, I must apologize to my readers because I have run out of fun little gadgets to talk about so I will have to talk about more boring topics. I will do my best to find some interesting subjects to elaborate about. If you have any ideas please feel free to leave a comment idea and I surely will discuss it, because I honestly want to kill myself if I to talk about boring information that no one is actually going to want to read. I am just kidding I will not kill myself but please someone give a fun suggestion. Ok, now we can move forward onto "fun" topics.

This entry is about a tire that is 'bulletproof.' Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have designed a new type of tire for Humvees. This tire with be able to withstand a bullet hole and even a bomb blast. This would be a great advantage for all the Humvees being used in battle. You always hear stories of troops getting hit by roadside bombs and them having to abandon their vehicles. This puts everyone at danger because troops do not have the strongest armor available which makes it very easy for someone to get injured. Now the Humvees on the other hand, have a shit load of armor but without working wheels they are just piles of metal sitting in the middle of a war zone.

These 'bulletproof' tires are actually quite simple in design. They are created to be 'non-pneumatic tires' meaning they do not require air to function properly. Now you are probably guessing how the hell that is possible since every tire you see on the road is inflated with air. Well the answer comes in the design, which uses a round honeycomb blueprint. Yes a honeycomb blueprint, the same thing you see bees using to create their colonies. This six-sided cell pattern helps create a circle which gives the vehicle stability and support. The tire then has a two to three inch thick, black, rubber tread that is wrapped around the honeycomb making the vehicle almost unstoppable.

With these Superman tires Humvees are able support more weight like additional armor, survive an IED attack, and still be able to make a 50 mph getaway in case they get stuck in a bad situation. We no longer will have to hear about troops being killed by roadside bombs because tires were blown out and they could not getaway to safety. I think these tires would be an excellent idea because of all the lives that might be saved. This would also be a neat addiction to new cars because fuel mileage is sometimes affected by the tire pressure. The less the tires are inflated the more work the engine has to do to make the car move. Just imagine you are riding a bike with deflated tires, it takes quite a bit of work to make the bike move but when they are pumped up it is easy to pedal.

No comments: