Monday, September 29, 2008

What's the Problem!?!?!


I was sitting at my computer, not really sure what to write, so I went to my staple website, Facebook.com. I stared at the screen for what seemed like a few seconds, but 10 minutes had already gone by. So now, ten minutes later, I still had no topic, but I did now know who was dating who. This information was irrelevant in my search though, so I attempted to forget about it. I searched for new technology news, and still found nothing. Back to facebook. I was thinking about how I'm a stereotypical college student. "When life gets hard, turn to facebook." That is the motto of today's generation. Suddenly it hit me. Facebook is a huge tool used by so many college students today. I had a main topic, I just needed to find something to write about facebook. Wait... didn't they just release their new layout, and everyone hates it? Perfect.
The new facebook was launched in September, with the hopes that the users could "focus on the recent and relevant content on the site," according to creator Mark Zuckerberg. But, it seems that people are not pleased at all with the new design. The change is not a good one in this case, and people don't know what to do. Groups about boycotting facebook are being joined (as soon as members find out how to navigate the facebook layout). Millions of people world-wide are not very happy with this design, and don't know where to turn.
What is so wrong with the new design? Honestly? I was a little confused at first, but now that I'm using it more and more, I like it more and more. I think teens are more afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone and trying something new. I want feedback in my comments about this. What is so wrong about the new facebook? I am calling an all english class discussion.
Zuckerberg said this about the changes and the comments against the new layout. "Facebook is a work in progress. We constantly try to improve things and we understand that our work isn't perfect. We appreciate the thousands of you who have written in to give us feedback. Even if you're joining a group to express things you don't like about the new design, you're giving us important feedback and you're sharing your voice, which is what Facebook is all about."

1 comment:

ecnal said...

I personally love the new facebook. You can get info from your friends so much faster. The tabs at the top of the screen allow for you to quickly find something you want to look at rather than having to scroll down your page which is a mile long. I hated doing that. Then, I would always pass the section of my page that I wanted to look at and have to go back up. How annoying! The new facebook is definitely the best social networking page I have ever used.

I also hate how everyone complains so much about the change. Get over it! Yes, it is weird at first but jeez.